Sunday, October 14, 2007

Jack does his own stunts



He's got his first shiner. On Friday morning Jack was crawling around downstairs with Audrey and I was in my bedroom folding laundry. I check on them and all is good. A few seconds later I hear "Thud thud thud - Mommy, Jack fell down the stairs". I die. Then I run to see what happened. Jack has crawled up two or three of the stairs of death and fallen back down. He's scraped his face and has a bump on his head. I freak out and tell Audrey to get her shoes on, we're going to the hospital. Audrey's crying, saying "Oh Jack, poor Jack". I'm crying saying "F*%&*, F*%$#@, Oh my God" under my breath and grabbing keys. I call Rob, who with the voice of reason says, call the pediatrician and see if he can see you instead of the emergency room. By this time, Jack is no longer crying, he's just snuffling and snuggling me and seems to be better already. The nurse at their pediatrician's office is awesome. She's calm and kind and asks me a few questions about Jack. After hearing the answers, she tells me he'll be fine. He'll want Tylenol because as she says "he'll probably have a headache", and that I should ice his eye if he'll let me (which he didn't). So for the last two days I've gotten those looks. You know the ones - the ones you give the moms who show up at Safeway at 3 o'clock in the afternoon and their baby is in a dirty sleeper with food on her face. I've been getting those looks. And I deserve them. (My head is hanging in shame).

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I know those looks all too well. Lauren has 3 chipped teeth, a scar from stitches on the side of her face and bruises all over her body. She's a clumsy one, she is.

Emily said...

Sarah - I got those looks right after Molly fell out of the window.... I felt like the most irresponsible mom in the world - luckily the marks go away and you will return to the PERFECT mom looks....

froelica said...

It happens to everyone, from what I've heard. Kids are sturdier than they seem, though!